Monday, June 18, 2007

Blog Review: Just Down The Road A Bit

This impressive Blog is offered with a bold title of Living Life - Life Coaching - Self Integration - Self Interrogation. It is filled with articles, ads, and from the self-help world, including Tony Robbins, The Secret, and The Sedona Method.

This is a world I know quite well. Robbins often tells in his seminars and books about his depressed beginnings and his giant leaps upward when he came in contact with NeuroLinguistic Programming (some people say he grew a foot in that time, but I've seen him and he has two feet like everyone else). We all have a great deal of respect for his marketing and presentation skills as he has taken the personal-growth and self-help world by storm for the last 25 years, or so.

One of the NLP content-sets that Robbins teaches is a set that I developed in the late 70s and early 80s. If you have read his books, he talks about Metaprograms and he describes consulting projects (which I performed). I have taught that content and a series of interview skills that goes with it (in seminars and as organizational consultant) for the past 26+ years as the LAB Profile.

One of the patterns which Robbins does not teach is Options and Procedures. The person who is operating in an 'options' pattern cannot follow procedures, but can make procedures for others to follow. The person who is operating in a 'procedures' pattern must follow procedures and without a procedure is simply stuck, but cannot make a new procedure or fix a broken one.

I have been building, repairing, programming, and using computers since the mid 60s. I have almost always been operating in the 'options' patterns during all these years. I can usually figure out what to do next, and rarely am I stuck about what to do next.

But, I'm new to the Blog world and I'm struggling to figure out what to do next. There are many methods and techniques in this new world that fly in the face of my years of computer experience and It is hard to get out-of-the-box to understand what my options are. I feel like a I'm trying to follow the procedures, based on decades of experience, and those procedures are not working.

Maybe self-help is what I need, and just down the road a bit is the place I need to go.


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

No comments: