Thursday, June 21, 2007

Blog Review:
Rahul Prabhakar - when the muse strikes!

A clearly-written Blog. It is about Technical Communications and of course it would be clear. I really liked one of his articles, Top 10 Challenges Faced By Technical Communicators at Work, where he wrote about the challenges for those in the tech writing field. He asked a listserve of technical writers and they told him of the biggest problems that they face as tech writers.

One of the main concepts of that article was about getting to the essential parts of what has to be written. I have a couple of tools I use to reduce down to the central elements of something. One is the LAB Profile. This is a linguistic model I developed in the more than 25 years ago to understand communications (people who are delivering as well as those receiving) on a range of 40 scales. I also use it to understand the nature of the information.

The other is the Cube (I have not yet written much about this one). Basically, I look at a task or project or situation from six different angles. Content, context (mini), structure, flow, overview (macro), & measurement. When I'm in the data gathering phase of a project, I use these different angles to make sure that I have collected all that I need. When I go into an intervention, if I have addressed all of these in the intervention, I'm sure it will be ecologocal (and successful).

I really like this Blog. And I highly recommend it for its clarity.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

2 comments:

Mary said...

Would you write more about the Cube. I specifically would like to know if it is a structure you use before you write, or if you use it to evaluate what you have written before you publish?
Thanks,
Ray Haiduk

Rodger Bailey said...

It is a frame-of-reference I use for data gathering, designing, writing, and teaching.

It is nested. I may have a cube for an overall project with many little cubes inside for each section of the project.